Director of Technical Operations
Open positions in York, England
The Director of Technical Operations will be responsible for all aspects of people operations and department level administrative functions within the Research and Development (R&D) organisation.
Reporting directly to the Chief Technology Officer, this individual will handle the non-technical aspects of people management, including annual appraisals, recruiting, training requirements and career development. Additionally, this individual will help with the operational aspects of running the R&D function. This would include activities such as vendor management, creating and maintaining policy, standards and procedures, licence management and all department wide project management needs.
This person would be a key member of the R&D Management team, helping to drive continuous improvements in the way the group functions and the productivity of our people. They would drive our metrics and reporting initiatives, which in turn would influence our future priorities and budget planning.
Quickly embedding themselves in the organisation, this person would get to know all the different teams and people that R&D interface with and look to build strong relationships in order to help influence outcomes.
- Develop, monitor and continue to assess strategic priorities for the R&D organisation
- Draft reports, pitch decks, or presentations for department, company or board level distribution
- Non-technical people development and management for the R&D organisation, including annual reviews, salary and promotion reviews, performance management and recruiting
- Review, design, and execute on improvements to org structure, find knowledge and skills gaps and help address them
- Vendor management, including invoice approvals, contracts and regular governance meetings
- Overseeing large, often cross-functional department-wide projects or initiatives
- Creating systems and processes to streamline operations
- Creating & updating dashboards for reviewing key performance indicators
- Planning and coordinating department level events e.g. Hackathons
Mandatory Skills, Knowledge or Experience
- 7+ years in a business management / chief of staff or operational role
- Proven experience organising and directing multiple teams and departments
- Excellent communicator in written and verbal form
- Extremely versatile, dedicated to efficient productivity
- Experience planning and leading strategic initiatives
- Extensive team management and leadership experience
- Experience with data analysis
- Experience with budget management
- Consulting experience with a focus on operations management
- Proven success in a project coordination role
- Nimble business mind with a focus on developing creative solutions
- Strong project reporting skills, with a focus on interdepartmental communication
- Minimum 5 years in a similar role
- Ideally a graduate of a business management background
Integrity and Ethics
- All StarCompliance employees are expected to commit to a high standard of personal integrity and carry out their responsibilities in an ethical manner.