Senior Cloud Automation Engineer
Open positions in York, England
The Senior Cloud Automation Engineer will work within the Data team in R&D, and will develop, enhance, support, and deliver automation testing suites for data products within Star. Candidates must have strong technical knowledge, paired with good decision-making abilities and excellent communications skills. Candidates must also enjoy working hands-on under pressure and have a passion for automation. While individual Team members might have specialised skills and areas of focus, all engineers contribute to each outcome, improving the quality of products and enhancing their team’s productivity. They are a ring-fenced resource for their product team, working collaboratively with other team members across multiple geographies and time zones. They should take ownership of their professional development and continually update their technical knowledge and skills by means of peer knowledge transfer, internal and online resources and attending industry meetups. This will be a vital role that will help drive the company's future cloud data strategy.
- To participate in the design, testing and deployment of a cloud-based data warehouse
- Drive the automation strategy within the data team
- Lead on improving test coverage and release velocity
- Create and maintain technical documentation using defined technical documentation templates
- Ensure agreed upon development processes, procedures and best practices are adopted and followed.
- Contribute to the architecture and design of the team’s development work and ensure it is fit for purpose.
- Identify, promote, implement and adopt relevant industry best practices, processes and technologies.
- Coaching and mentoring
Mandatory Skills, Knowledge or Experience
- A proven track record automating testing and deployment of a large-scale, enterprise level cloud data warehouse solution in a commercial environment
- Experience of implementing CI/CD pipelines
- Solid experience/knowledge of an enterprise level relational database management system (SQL Server, Oracle, PostgreSQL, etc.)
- Demonstratable experience of building automation frameworks
- Self-organisation, effective planner and motivated
- Strong interpersonal skills, working with internal technical staff and stakeholders
- Strong analytical and problem resolution skills
- Ability to quickly learn new technical skills
- Ability to investigate and evaluate new technologies
- Flexible attitude and ability to perform under pressure
Desirable Skills, Knowledge or Experience
- Working knowledge of Docker, Kubernetes etc. a plus
- Familiarity with Azure DevOps would be greatly beneficial
- Desirable experience with other forms of automation testing e.g. UI testing
- Understanding of BDD and TDD a plus
- Experience of Agile & Scrum
- Experience of working with a version control system such as TFS, Git, CVS, etc.
- Ideally some relevant certifications (AWS, GPC, Azure, ISTQB)
- Experience defining, implementing or supporting software in financial services industry preferred
- Knowledge of code of ethics regulations and compliance risks desirable but not essential
- Experience of working with colleagues in a different time zone preferred
- A proven track record automating large-scale, enterprise level applications in a commercial environment